To make this measure more effective and tailored to the specific context of your company, we recommend that you first perform an overall analysis of your energy situation.
Ensuring efficient heating system performance in the workplace
For many companies, the production of heat for premises and production processes represents a major cost factor. It is therefore essential to ensure that the heating system operates correctly and economically. Heating systems offer significant potential for energy savings. This includes all peripheral installations, heat production and distribution.
Definition of the company’s heating requirements
Heating system inspection
- Energy evaluation of the heating system through the “Heizungscheck” inspection process by a qualified craftsman (heating engineer)
Taking your heating installation project one step further
- Heat consumption analysis
Track changes in heat consumption on the basis of the latest energy bills, or meter data where applicable.
- Cross-referencing consumption data with production indicators.
Implement measures to optimize the heating system
For heat production
- Periodic maintenance and inspection of heat production units
- Optimisation of system operating periods according to need, e.g. night-time reduction, summer mode, etc. => Additional information developed by suisseenergie “Reduce the flow temperature outside of usage periods” and “Give your heating a summer break“
- Checking the heating curve => Further information from suisseenergie “Set the heating curve correctly“
For heat distribution
- Circulation pump flow and return temperature control. Adaptation considering shutdown periods. => Further information from suisseenergie on “Reduce the circulating pump’s flow rate”
- Replacement of fixed-flow circulation pumps with energy-efficient, variable-flow pumps
- Inspect and, if necessary, insulate the system’s various thermal components (pipes, valves, pumps, etc.)
- Rule of thumb: cover pipes with an insulation thickness at least equal to the inside diameter, ideally twice the pipe diameter
- Hydraulic balancing
For heat consumption
- Use of room temperature control devices, e.g. smart thermostats. => Additional information developed by suisseenergie “Set thermostat valves correctly before the heating season” and “Protect thermostat valves and limit the temperature“.
- Reduce or switch off heating in unused areas, e.g. corridors, staircases, meeting rooms, plant rooms.
- Regularly bleeding radiators => Further information developed by suisseenergie “Vent radiators in autumn“.
- Reduce the setpoint temperature in accordance with the minimum temperature recommendations in the ITM specification “Ventilation and air-conditioning systems“
- When heating production halls, use air heaters, infrared heaters, etc. as required.
Notice: incentive effect needs to be respected for all requests for subsidies (state or otherwise)
In order to respect the “incentive effect”, no binding commitment (signing a quotation; paying a deposit) can be made BEFORE having received the agreement in principle from the State or the electricity and natural gas supplier following a request for assistance.
- SME Packages – Sustainability
- Environmental protection scheme – Investment subsidies for environmental protection
- Verification of company eligibility and costs: Directorate-General for Industry, New Technologies and Research
- Support in drawing up the application file prior to submission to the Ministry of the Economy
- For more information : Luxinnovation
- More information and guidance for businesses on environmental investment is available in the Simplified Guide for Businesses.
Application for subsidies from electricity and natural gas suppliers
As of 2015, natural gas and electricity suppliers are obliged under the Commitment Mechanism to generate energy savings among their consumers. Since then, energy suppliers have been offering monitoring and advisory services as well as subsidy programmes for consumers to implement energy efficiency measures. The providers offering this service to companies are as follows:
Apply for a premium from the nova naturstroum fund
The purpose of the nova naturstroum fund is to promote and enhance sustainable development in Luxembourg. More specifically, the following premiums are available for companies:
- Heating premium
Please note that supplier subsidies and the nova naturstroum fund premium can be cumulated with any state subsidies for the same project.